Beatles A Day in the Life Blog posts of '1963' 'January'

The Beatles - A Day in The Life : Thursday, January 10, 1963

The Beatles' first home-town engagement in nearly a month, heading a five-act bill. The evening was a resounding success, with a record-breaking attendance crowding into the large Grafton Rooms.One enterprising local stole 100 tickets a few days beforehand only to find that they were numbered and declared invalid.

The Beatles - A Day in The Life : Tuesday, January 8, 1963

Scottish Television, Theatre Royal, Hope Street

Glasgow, Lanarkshire

The Beatles remained north of the border after the Aberdeen date and travelled down to the Scottish Television studios in Glasgow for an appearance on the children's magazine program Roundup, presented by Paul Young and Morag Hood and broadcast (locally only) live from 5:00 to 5:55 pm. The Beatles' contribution was to mime to their forthcoming single, "Please Please Me".

The Beatles - A Day in The Life : Sunday, January 6, 1963

The last night of the tour ended at the Beach Ballroom, Sea Beach, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire

The Beatles - A Day in The Life : Saturday, January 5, 1963

Played at Museum Hall, Henderson St. Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire

Beatles The Beatles - A Day in The Life : Friday, January 4, 1963

Played at the Town Hall, High St. Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty

The Beatles - A Day in The Life : Thursday, January 3, 1963

At last the tour got under way at the TWO SHOES BALLROOM, South College St. Elgin, Morayshire

This ballroom was slightly L-Shaped, which meant that some of the dancers could not see the Beatles on the stage....

The Beatles - A Day in The Life : Wednesday, January 2, 1963

The opening night of a five-date booking in Scotland and the Beatles' first proper tour, also a return visit to the town played as support to Johnny Gentle on May 25, 1960 - was cancelled owing to the terrible weather conditions which had the whole of Scotland in an icy grip. Snowdrifts made virtually all of the Highlands roads impassable, and the Beatles hadn't a chance of getting through to Keith in time to fulfill the engagement.

The tour had got away to a bad start even before this setback. Thanks to the inclement weather, the Beatles' flight from London to Edinburgh during the morning of January 2, (the group had flown to London from Hamburg on January 1st, and spent the night there) was switched at the last moment to land at Aberdeen.